The City of Talisay used to be an Agustinian estate in 1648 but only became a municipality in 1849 with Silverio Fernandez as its first gobernadorcillo and Pedro Labuca as capitan. Some accounts trace the origin of its name from Magtalisay trees abounding in areas while others claim origin of the name from a town in Spain. In both the American and Japanese occupations, Talisay served as haven of colonial forces. During World War II, the city served as the center of guerilla intelligence operations for the Philippine residence movement in Cebu. The returning American forces made their historic landing in the beach of Talisay on March 26, 1945 - an event that marked the eventual surrender of the Japanese forces in Cebu. The event is now annually commemorated by the provincial government of Cebu. On December 30 2000, Talisay became a component city by virtue of Republic Act 8979.
To promote and sustain environmental balance, economic stability and social equity for the welfare of its empowered citizenry
An environmentally sustainable Aqua City with a happy empowered citizenry working towards a peaceful and progressive community in a diversified economy guided by dynamic and efficient local leadership.